Monday, January 16, 2012

52 Week Challenge!

Do you make New Year’s resolutions?

I’m not sure if I have ever made true resolutions… usually more vague promises to be a better person by trying to attain things like patience, fortitude, a cheerful attitude, etc. Whether or not these things were actually attained I couldn’t say.

For several years running I took a word for the year to center my life around and that technique had amazing results in my life. I should say I was GIVEN a word because the word for the year would just pop into my head with headlights and a chorus of angels singing to let me know it had arrived. When things in my life would become difficult or problematic, often that word would come back into my head and somehow honing in on that word would somehow solve whatever issue was facing me. I wish I had kept a journal of those years because now I can’t remember what words I chose in that time of my in life. “Grace” was one year and “Forgiveness” another. One year was actually a phrase: "Be a grown-up"... but beyond that… ??? Some time ago though the words disappeared and that time in my life passed on to new roads to follow. To everything there is a season.

However, I happen to be one of those people who LOVES self-improvement. My problem is I attempt too much improvement at once and end up frustrated and annoyed with myself, and making no improvement at all. So this year I am doing something different. I am challenging myself to a 52 Week Challenge. Every week I will choose a mini-goal that will either 1) help establish a new habit or 2) break an old one. These are not to be a challenge with a temporary result in mind but something of lasting importance. For example, doing one’s taxes, while a worthwhile endeavor is (I hope) temporary in nature… once April 15th rolls around, you are done. This is an effort to change my life for the better. And just think, by the end of the year I will have altered my life for good in 52 ways! My challenges may be physical, mental, or spiritual in nature.

Come join me! :-)

2 comments:

  1. Cool! great idea, maybe I could find 52 ways to Dwell (the word I was given this year)... dwell in Joy, dwell in peace, dwell in God's Word..the list could go on :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey yeah! That is a great way to incorporate the idea :-)

    ReplyDelete