Monday, March 14, 2011

Cooking Creations

First loaf of bread in probably a year, opted to make a full refined white flour bread just for something decadent and naughty, and to get back into the breadmaking habit.



I'm working my way back up to 100% whole grain bread from grains I grind myself (which is a little harder than regular flour). Then when I have mastered that, I'm going to attempt soaking the dough first.

Funny story about this particular loaf of bread. The Mister was very excited that I had made bread and spent a few days savoring it carefully. Then one night he announced he was "eating a big piece of bread" with great solemnity. One might of thought he was going to balance the national debt. I laughed and said that is what the bread was there for, to be eaten, and that I could always make more and I intended on making all our bread from now on. His eyes got really big and said, "Really??? That's so cool.... I can handle that."


Lori's Quiche - my mom's recipe, sacred and secret to all but myself. The key ingredient is lots and lots of bacon ;-) What made this particular quiche so special is that it was the FIRST time I ever made my own crust! And guess what, it was so easy! I'll never buy crust with who-knows-what ingredients again.




As you can see, I have a ways to go til I master the art of ROLLING the crust ;-)

Now I just need to find a good source for lard to get that unique crust flakiness...

No comments:

Post a Comment